My Love Affair With Wool
Textile scientists have been trying to manufacture fabric that acts and looks like wool for a very long time, but the real thing is still Number One in my book! It's versatile, easy to care for, comfortable, and eco-friendly. I also love it for its ease of sewing!
Did you know that wool:
- Absorbs and releases moisture so well that it actually keeps a wearer warm in the winter and cools her down in summer! Check out all the amazing new wool jersey athletic wear that everyone loves so much!
- Doesn't hold dirt or wrinkles like cotton, silk, or linen.
- Can be refreshed simply by hanging outside--doesn't need much actual laundering or cleaning.
- Is naturally fire retardant.
- Is more durable than many other natural fiber fabrics.
- Can easily be transformed using "acid" dyes (the "acid" is just ordinary white vinegar)
- Can be felted or boiled and then becomes a fabric that doesn't unravel--no special hemming necessary on outwear, and applique is easy-peasy--no edges to tuck under!
- Is easily biodegraded and poses no threat to the environment (unless it's been dyed with harmful chemicals)
- Is very lightweight, soft, and can stretch quite a bit and return to its original shape and size.